Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Vocabulary 101

When I turned 29 Kendall told me what he liked most about me was my grammar. So keeping that in mind, and as a service to our readers, let me define a word for you. (Even though defining words has little to nothing to do with grammar.)

I was "somewhere" yesterday and there was a loud lady who boldly, proudly declared she had never heard the word chagrin before. She pronounced it ch-argin (with the "ch" like the "ch" in chocolate). Words! They are tricky- and if we've never encountered a word there's no shame. But there's also no pride. So for all those loud ladies out there:

cha·grin/SHəˈgrin/

Noun: Distress or embarrassment at having
failed or been humiliated.
Verb: Feel distressed or humiliated.

Example Sentences:

Surprisingly, she was not chagrined by her total lack of knowledge.
Much to the loud lady's chagrin, no one in the room sympathized with her.

Now you are so much smarter!!

No comments: