Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sitcoms of the 1980's

If you've got some time to kill on the internet, you may want to head HERE and read an in-depth look at the sitcoms of the blessed decade of the 1980's. It was then that the sitcom nearly died and then was reborn bigger than ever, thanks primarily to The Cosby Show.

Some of my favorite shows were created then (Roseanne, The Golden Girls) and nearly every show mentioned warms me with a misty nostalgia, just as one of the best of the decade- The Wonder Years- would want. Even the shows they toss of as being "less than stellar," like Mr. Belvedere, Growing Pains, or The Facts of Life make me long for the days of poofy shoulder pads and New Coke. And don't you agree with the 10 year old me, that Mike Seaver was super cute, right? I mean before he became over-the-top born again?

*Okay I will admit that Full House is awful. I LOVED it as a kid- even had stacks of VHS tapes full of what I called my favorite show- but unlike those gals in Miami or the denizens of Lanford, IL- Michelle and her outs-cream haven't aged well.

No comments: